The older I get the more worry.
The more I over think.
The more I annoy the bejesus out of pretty much everyone I encounter.
I promise to be better. I’ll start next year (I procrastinate too). I’ll start as soon as I have a plan in place. And a contingency plan in case something goes wrong. Of course the problem lies in that I don’t plan very well or rather I don’t plan that often. Instead I charge ahead at the front end and deal with everything on the fly as the wheels fall come off. When I do plan I think of every angle without coming to any real resolution most of the time. Basically an organizational top spinning around waiting for life to happen.
When building my own house, I’m quickly realizing that a) It probably wouldn’t have hurt me to plan more and b) the reality is nothing goes as planned anyway so I should have golfed more before I started building.
Not that anything is going tragically wrong, rather a lot of little “middle of the road” things kinda go unplanned and then either resolve themselves or result in, you guessed it, a change of plans. Expectations, design, realization, design, expectations, fill out forms. Pay some money, expectations, realizations, wait two weeks. Do some work, pay some money, expectations, realizations, watch the rain. And so on and so on, for roughly eight months…..we hope.
We’ll have some budget challenges coming up since we allotted more money to some areas and have run over on the excavation with our blue clay incident. I suppose a soil core test would have alerted us earlier, but wouldn’t have saved us any money. Based on our research we were not expecting the blue clay. And I don’t think it would have nixed the project even if we had known. I guess lesson learned, do a soil core test just in case. We were able to save some money (and add a green feature to the project) today by ordering recycled rigid insulation, so not all is bad news. We can balance the budget too when we get to finishes and delaying some built-ins like bookshelves.
One plan that did work out was we were planning to get the footers inspected today and we passed with flying colors. Yay for us! Knock on wood, but anytime we have anything to do with the government, it works out great. Mother nature, not so much.
All the drain tile (which is really plastic pipe) is laid. These series of pipes will collect any water on the outside of our foundation and route it away. The cement thingy (it’s late, and I forget what it’s called) that forms the collection area for the sump pump is in too. The sump pump and it’s pipes (I think there are pipes) on the interior of the foundation will collect water and pump it out before it can get into my basement. It’s placed in the lowest point of the basement excavation.
Tomorrow we’re going to lose one more cherry tree I suspect. It’s the one near the garage that we tried to keep even though it’d make backing out of the drive difficult. Well, turns out it may make the foundation install go smoother so I’m pretty sure it’s coming down. I took a picture of it today. Out of the three cherry trees we saved, it’s the nicest. There goes that plan.
Everything looks really spread out and open, but that’s because of the 45 degree walls on the excavation. Tomorrow after work I’ll lay down some vapor barrier where the walls are going. Additional vapor barrier will go down after the walls are in, before I go to lay down the rigid vinyl and they pour the basement floor.
My biggest worry right now is getting the semi-tractor trailer and crane back to the job site on Friday. That should be interesting as our driveway is pretty crazy and goes across my neighbors property. I’ll either be really happy or really sad Friday night depending on how it goes. Also weighing me down is the insulation will be coming in on another semi-tractor trailer next week. When that comes I’ll have to unload it by hand near the street. I don’t even want to plan for that but I have to. Not expecting that to be a happy endeavor.