The framers are delayed until later in the week so the only work being done on the site is the excavators are meticulously backfilling the house and relocating the dirt pulled from where the house currently rests.
The land is changing quickly. I still miss what it looked like when we bought the property and walked it, even with all the ticks. It’s looked like a moon scape the last six weeks. Now the large mounds of dirt are being used in some of the back fill or being relocated to another part of the property. We’ll be using some of the dirt to form mounds and eventually a pond. As the mounds around the house are removed it restores the topography back to what we remember but alas all the vegetation is gone. Hopefully our planning works out well and the top soil that was set aside will be drop on top of the restored sections. This should assure that the vegetation that was there before grows back. Within a couple of years any areas that aren’t landscaped should return to their natural state.
There are still some decisions to made on roughing in the landscaping. We need to cut our excavation budget to account for the excess gravel, but we should be able to fit in the rough in of the pond. There’s a natural area for it to fill from so we’ll leave it where the original plan called for it to be.
After talking to the HVAC contractor, I think geothermal may be back in play. Using the pond for the geothermal system would be beneficial, but the pond is pretty far from the house. We’ll have to weigh our options in the coming weeks.
We’re kind of in a state of flux, between phases. On one hand things have slowed down so it should be relaxing, but on the other hand a lot of decisions have to be made and bills paid in short order. All of which leads to increased stress levels. So we have a diverse array of subjects that we have to consider on a daily basis, from mechanical systems, landscaping, and topography to designing entertainment centers and planning the basement layout. It’s kind of sad to see the land in the state it’s in now. We ran over a lot of little to medium vegetation. With all the dirt we had to remove because of the blue clay, the disturbed area is significantly larger than I’d imagined. And sadly I noticed one of the largest trees on the property must’ve been shocked even though it’s in the fenced preservation area. It started to lose its leaves early and doesn’t look good. Hopefully it’ll bounce back after all is said and done but you and I both know how that goes. A real bummer because it provides all the shade for our screen porch and west rooms. A tree that size won’t grow from scratch within the number of years I have left on this planet. If it dies I’ll cut it down and plant a new one under which my grandkids can chase each other around.
We’re passing the time until the rough framing picks back up again by designing the fireplace and entertainment center. The biggest challenge here is we have an open floor plan and a 26′ long wall that will have a door, hutch, fireplace and television / bookcase. It’ll be a miracle if we can design it not to look like a train wreck.
Also we’re trying to wrap up the plans for the off again, on again fireplace. It’s on again so we’re trying to get quotes and figure out if the flue will be inside or outside the house.
That’s about it for today. It’s about time for ProjectCam to get a recharge and my rain barrel has collected virtually no water.
Hopefully by the end of the week we’ll have more to share in regards to progress on the home front.