View of installed loft window.
Today we installed the last window in the main house. The largest window in the house punctuates the “crown” of the house, front and center in the attic / loft. It’s approximately 5’x5′ and understandably it weighs a fair bit. It took four of us, (myself, brothers and Tony) to install it. I have to check but it showed up a few inches too wide and tall. You’ll remember this is the window that was too tall to begin with so we had to re-order it. Something about it, it just wants to be a really big window no matter how small we try to make it. How can a window be an overachiever? I don’t know but this one’s doing a pretty good job. My brother and Tony carried it up through the staircase to where we prepped it in the second floor gallery. They removed the handles and remounted them on the inside face. I crimped and cut the air expansion balloon and capped it with silicone. Tony and I then went up to the loft and my brothers handed us up the window. If the window was an inch wider we wouldn’t have gotten it through the ladder opening in the floor. Once topside my brothers stepped outside onto the sider’s scaffolding. One interesting note, the wood blocks holding up the scaffolding are lagged into the gutter boards with bolts. This provides enough support for the scaffolding ladders. Anyway, my brother’s get the gold star for the day cause the scaffold platform is about 20′ in the air outside the window opening. No worries, I think it’s 30′ before humans die from falling. We caulked the window rough opening surround with silicone to give the window a tight seal once in place. The rough opening was incredibly tight so Tony and I slowly fished out the window to the guys outside. With a little pounding the window was then inserted into the opening and nails pounded through the aluminum nailing flanges. The opening was leveled and because it was so tight we had to basically go with it “as is”; no shims or anything to fine tune. It’s a non operating window so it should be okay. I’m glad we’ve passed this hurdle.
Nailing the loft window in place. Note how the window goes floor to ceiling. The glass is tempered to meed code and for safety purposes.
Now the house is basically sealed up except for a couple minor details. Should be ready for our blower test any day now. The blower test will be used to assure everything is tight as well as the information will be used for our EnergyStar 2.5 rating paperwork.
It was nice to see the house in daylight since I miss it most of the week. All the drywall is hung, including the garage. The exterior blue foam is virtually done and the siding is coming along.
One of the things that happened this week before / during drywall installation was the fireplace was removed so that area could be properly insulated with caulk, insulation and fire resistant foil paper. The folks over at the Fireplace Shoppe then had the unit back in the next day. We’re definitely looking forward to firing the unit up once we move in.
What I call the "mill" view of the house showing the siding on the studios.
Christine and I have been frantically spending our weekend selecting lighting and other assorted finishing items. Due to budget constraints, we’re all over the map in terms of sourcing lighting. A bulk of the lighting is recessed so we have minimal fixtures. Many of the lighting fixtures (and ceiling fans) will come from Barn Light Electric
in Florida. Their selection is crazy cool and suits our taste and Joe’s artistic creation extremely well. It’s an eclectic blend of industrial, rural and vintage lighting. Beyond that we picked up a couple of light fixtures at Home Depot as well as Restoration Hardware
out of Columbus, Ohio. Some of the lights we ordered started arriving so it’s kinda cool to see the hardware in person. We are also picking out the exterior door handles and locksets. The house will be under lock and key very shortly. It’s crazy to think just a few months ago Corky and I were cutting down trees. Now here we are this far along in the process. Very cool, very exciting.
Breezeway between house and garage.
This coming week the cistern will go in. The septic system has been tested and approved by the county / health department. We’ll also be getting a temporary furnace to get the house up to temperature so the guys can finish drywalling (taping and mudding) the interior.
One interesting thing I noticed this morning is the house was very cold. Which is remarkable
Fireplace properly insulated. Foil paper is fire resistant just in case.
because it was very warm outside. Now that it’s virtually sealed up the house is isolated from the world around it thermally for all intents and purposes. It was cold cause there’s no heat / furnace but regardless it will hold its internal temperature now.
Take a look at the pics. The project’s coming along nicely.
Fancy hotel look wall sconces for the Master Bathroom courtesy of Restoration Hardware. I asserted myself and selected these much to the chagrin of the wife. Trust me I say, I'm a trained professional. She reminds me she is too.
Family room. Only about three months from beer, food and game night with friends or family.
Upstairs art gallery wall. Will all be covered in wood, secret doors, and artwork. Ceiling opening is for ladder to attic / loft. Windows up there will route hot air out of the house by way of cyclonic action from the basement all the way up. Think giant helical air flow up stair case, gallery and loft once the windows are opened up.
Downstairs gallery and temp staircase. Located near the studios for clients to traverse between Christine's and my studios.
Front hall. Real fake I-Beam above.
Drywall scaffolding. Eventually the upper wall will be frosted acrylic to get light into the craft room. At some point the attic / loft floor will be frosted glass as well to drive daylight into the gallery.