Today we actually saw some progress on the home front. I stopped out after work and happy to see all the carpet padding was installed throughout the house. Tomorrow we get the carpet. After that it’s “shoes off” for everyone working out there, as far as I’m concerned.
I’m not sure of the brand name of the carpet pad, I suspect it’s the typical stuff that goes in a cookie cutter house. I did ask the guys over at Carpet Warehouse to air out the padding and carpet before they install it so that any harmful chemicals will offgas before the material enters our home. I could still smell some “stuff” but we should survive. The carpet is supposedly good stuff made partially from corn. On Wednesday it’s supposed to be 58 degrees outside, so I asked my brother to open up the windows while they work. That should air out the place and get rid of some of the chemical trace from the various materials that are off gassing in the house.
In addition to the padding, several other trades were busy today. I noticed the painters touched up a bunch of stuff including some ceiling areas in the boys bath where we’d put down our first coat of green paint. Tony also touched up the drywall in the boys bath, leveling out a corner and making it look a lot better than it did yesterday. Elsewhere he also hung all of the doors. They had been taken off for painting. I suspect tomorrow he’ll put on the door knobs. I had wanted to help do this but I won’t make it out to the site this week I don’t think. No sense waiting for me.
The most interesting thing the painters painted today were the steel i-beams in the kitchen. These beams actually aren’t load bearing, but we felt they lent an industrial feel to our contemporary kitchen and helped delineate the space from its surroundings. The beams were painted a flat black color. I think they were painted with something nasty because I could smell the paint, but hopefully this will offgas when we open the windows. We had a 2×6 placed on each beam to provide a shadow line and to visually beef them up vertically without specifying a taller beam. Once we move in I may put a faux finish on the beams. We’ll see.
The HVAC guys have been busy too. I noticed the register vents are installed on all the walls. The Aprilaire Energy Recovery Ventilator is fully installed too. This unit is a must have for our tight house. It preheat fresh air with warm air that is being exhausted. This should keep our energy bills lower while providing a steady supply of fresh air. In a perfectly tight house this would be the only source of fresh air. Regular houses have enough gaps and holes that the whole house “breathes”. Ours shouldn’t breathe at all if all goes according to plan.
I know my brother was busy in his shop today fabricating countertops, so those should be going in too. The material for the quartz counters should arrive at the fabricator tomorrow. I think within one week most everything should be complete and ready for inspection. Fingers crossed.