I usually don’t admit defeat. I’m not necessarily competitive, rather I just try to work through problems and try to figure out how to fix them. But tonight I decided not to fight it and I admitted defeat. The lawn mower won, or at the very least I wasn’t going to fight it anymore. Unfortunately in winning the lawn mower kind of lost too.
With a window of dry weather before the storm of the year comes crashing down on us, I ventured out to cut the grass. By now it’s mostly pretty, tall clover but it needed to be cut. So I rolled out our 9-year-old Troy Bilt, filled it up with gas and fired it up. I made it 9″ into the grass before I hit my first obstacle. The front of the mower was diving down into the dirt…and every once in a while the blade bounced of metal, so I raised up the cutting level, but “wow” it was still tough to push and I was hitting a lot of metal. Granted the self-propelled part doesn’t work anymore but still….it should be that difficult.
So I shut it off and looked underneath. There was some sort of protective shield under there that was banged up and diving downward, therefore impeding my forward mobility. Off came the front “safety” guard and lo and behold the mower had a little more “breathing room” to bounce around the front yard.
But alas after cutting the old orchard in front of the garage and part of the front yard the mower had run through an entire tank of gas. I never went through an entire tank at the old house in one cutting let alone 15 mins. worth of mowing. Oh well, I filled it up again, but shortly after the mower gave up the ghost after successfully cutting a landing strip in our front yard. It just sort of putters and puts out some grey and black smoke; unable to turn the dull blade anymore.
I’m not sure what I’m going to do, but the humidity was about 100% out there and I was drenched in sweat. I rolled my first lawn mower I ever bought, back into the garage and called it a night. It’s supposed to rain the next day or two, and everything is already swamped, so I’m sure it will be a while.
Elsewhere we did get the cistern drain unplugged which should help fix the problem I had the other night with the cistern overflowing. The rose-bush is looking good and growing new leaves. And I put fencing around the other service berry bush, as I think the deer are the issue with those. We’ve got everything bundled up for the big storm tonight. Fingers crossed it’s just an over reaction. Then again if the whole place blows away I won’t have to worry about cutting the rest of the grass or battling my old lawn mower anymore. For now though I stand defeated for now.